[Video] 3 Row Variations for Increased ROM w/ Brandon Hendrickson
If anyone knows how to build a big and thick back, it’s current Men’s Physique Champion, Brandon Hendrickson.
The Beast athlete recently visited the Muscle & Strength HQ to drop some knowledge and help our fan base build lean muscle.
In this video, he covers 3 row variations he uses to increase the range of motion of the lift and build a bigger back.
Check them out and give them a try!
1. Underhand Seated Row
The first row variation Brandon shows us is the underhand seated cable row.
The most important part of any row variation is getting a good stretch on the muscle and a great contraction at the top of the movement. Most people do well during 80% of the movement, but the other 20% requires a strong mind-muscle connection to maximize.
For the row, keep your back slightly bent and forward. You don’t want to lean back into the movement as this will limit the contraction. Also, remember to pull through the elbow when doing the exercise.
2. Single Arm Dumbbell Row
The second exercise is a variation of the single arm dumbbell row.
For this movement, ensure your hips and toes are facing forward. Increase the stretching portion of the movement by beginning with the weight in front of the body. As you bring (row) the weight back, act as if you are putting the dumbbell in your back pocket.
This row variation mimics a pullover movement pattern as well to create tension throughout the lat.
3. Standing Barbell Row
The final exercise is a variation of the standing barbell row.
To increase the range of motion on this variation, Brandon leans slightly at the top of the movement and brings the weight all the way to the floor for a slight dead-stop.