Body Transformation: Eric Masciarelli Lost An Amazing 150 Pounds
Lifestyle Prior To Change
What was your lifestyle like prior to your change?
Basically had no idea how bad my diet and knowledge of good health was. Ate everything, especially pizza and fast food late at night.
What was your “low point” or “turning point”?
Just had enough, The clothes I wanted to wear I couldn’t because they didn’t make my size. Going to parties or swimming I felt very self conscious and was becoming depressed, so I decided to make a change. The way I started looking at it was that you only have one life, live it to the fullest.
Were there any unique challenges or circumstances that made your transformation particularly difficult?
I would say probably figuring out a meal plan and getting over the two week period of cutting way back on carbs and calories. I Googled everything from meal plans to weight lifting. I had no weight loss surgery or dietician. It was all willpower. Just glad I get to share my story and hope it will make a difference.
Eric Masciarelli’s Transformation Training
What was your weight training approach and split during your transformation?
I start lifting actually two years after I dropped all the weight. I dropped all the way to 145lbs, and in the beginning of January, 2013, I started weight training and usinge tons of free weights mostly. I am now back up to a lean, muscular 170lbs.
What workout that worked best for you:
- Monday – Off day.
- Tuesday – Biceps and triceps. 5 sets x 12 reps, 2 exercises per bodypart supersetted, then single set 5 sets of 8,6,4,2,1, slower as you decline reps.
- Wednesday – Chest and back. Same as above but bench press incline flyes and chin ups.
- Thursday – Cardio
- Friday – Leg day.
- Saturday – Same as Tuesday, plus I mix in some machines at local gym.
- Sunday – Same as Wednesday, plus I mix in machines at local gym.
Please detail your cardio approach during your transformation?
Started cardio around 180lbs, mostly treadmill, basketball, and running outside.
Please list 3 things you learned about exercise, weight training and/or cardio during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Hydration is key, and eating healthy with one cheat meal a week which I do all the time.
- It doesn’t happen overnight. You have to be patient and results will come.
- Once you get used to your routine you will never want to miss a workout. It becomes a part of your everyday life.
How are you currently training, and has your training changed since the completion of your transformation?
Going great, still at it. Trying to make more progress as time goes on. Usually change routine every other month.
Eric Masciarelli’s Transformation Diet & Nutrition
What was your diet/nutrition approach during your transformation?
1,200 calories a day for two weeks then 1800 from then on. About 50-60 grams of carbs and little to no sugar. Cut out all soda and prepared my meals early with correct portions.
Can you provide us with a sample daily eating plan:
- Breakfast – Fiber One bar and Greek yogurt with a banana.
- Snack – Greek yogurt.
- Lunch – Tuna sandwich on wheat, salad with vinegar for lunch.
- Dinner – One chicken breast, small grilled baked potato and broccoli
- About 8-10 bottles of water each day, then nothing to eat after 7 pm.
Were there any diet/nutrition mistakes you made that you learned from?
Yes, drinking pop for first quarter of my diet. I corrected this and and stopped. Also stopped using white bread too, which is why I switched to wheat.
Please list 3 things you learned about diet & nutrition during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- With eating clean and my new meal plan I felt I had more energy.
- When seeing results you are motivated even more.
- When you try on your clothes and notice they are too big, the feeling you have is indescribable; especially when your at the halfway mark.
Did you allow yourself cheat meals?
Yes, of course. But I went right back to my goal meal plan. You have too cheat once in a while, and it’s also good for your metabolism. When eating clean all the time your body gets used to it. With a cheat meal it’ll send shock to your metabolism, which over time will improve your results from what I have researched.
What supplements did you use during your transformation?
None when dieting, but when I started weight lifting I began taking:
- Whey protein
- Casein protein at night before bed
The first 6 months of lifting I was taking Promera Concret creatine, but haven’t since it was just too expensive and would rather do it naturally.
More From Eric Masciarelli
What are your best 3 tips for someone looking to make their own transformation?
- Get a plan together. Figure out what your goals are, write them down and research them.
- Don’t get frustrated. It takes times but it will happen.
- Once you got everything you need, set a date you want to start. Dig down deep for some willpower. You will conquer your goals, and you will be living a better, healthier life.
How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who’s having trouble staying on track?
Just keep thinking why you are doing this, and if it’s for your spouse, kids, or yourself. Just realize that once you start your transformation you need to remember what motivated you in the first place, and remind yourself that you don’t want to start over and lose the progress you’ve already made.
What is your life like now that you’ve made a transformation?
Amazing. I have more energy, more confidence, just a new outlook on life. I am healthier than I have ever been. When I weighed over 320lbs I was close to having diabetes and that was a wake up call. I am so glad I stuck with my goals, and it feels so good that it has ended,
What motivates you currently to keep improving yourself?
Old pictures. I look back from when I started and compare it to where I am now. Knowing I don’t ever want to get back to that life, which was unhealthy and depressive.
Anything else you would like to share?
Just that I would like to say thank you for letting me get my story out there. I hope people will make a change before it’s too late. Also, good luck and if I can do it by myself with no help, others can.