Body Transformation: Brandi Wisdom Body Transformation
Lifestyle Prior To Change
My lifestyle prior to my transformation was very unhealthy. I made very poor choices when it came to foods and exercise. I am confident in saying that 95% of the time, my family and I would eat out (fast food) for breakfast, lunch and dinner (yuck)! I never made time to exercise and my sleeping patterns were very unpredictable. From morning until night, I made horrible food choices for myself and my son by snacking on junk foods and never having a set meal schedule. My life was very disorganized, and now I know it was all due to bad foods and not taking care of my body.
What was your low point or turning point?
My absolute low point came when I was putting on a pair of my biggest jeans I owned (photo attached), and they were almost too tight to button. That was the last straw. I knew I had to change something because my weight wasn’t only affecting my body, it was affecting my mind and overall happiness.
Were there any unique challenges or circumstances that made your transformation particularly difficult?
I was very fortunate that I didn’t have any unique challenges during my transformation. However, I know so many other people going through transformations do have struggles. I was blessed to be able to begin and finish my journey with ease.
- Transformation Start: January 5, 2010.
- Milestone: February 16, 2010 – down 14.2 lbs scale weight & down 6.14% BF.
- Milestone: March 30, 2010 – down total 22 lbs scale weight & down total 11.45% BF.
- Milestone: May 11, 2010 – down total 28.6 lb scale weight & down total 15.8% BF.
- Transformation End: June 10, 2010.
Brandi’s Training And Cardio Approach
What was your weight training approach and split during your transformation?
My transformation training period included 7 days of cardio with 3-4 days of weight training. On weight training days, I would focus on lower or upper body (concentrating on 3 different muscle groups each time) and then mix in cardio between exercises. At the end of my workout, I concluded with abs.
Please detail your cardio approach during your transformation?
My cardio was very intense and hard (especially at first). I spent a lot of time on the elliptical machine or running on an indoor track. I would set little goals for myself. For instance, if I was close to ending my run, I would put on my favorite song on my IPod and make sure I ran until the song was over. As I trained more and more, the cardio became easier and it enabled me to push myself further than I could have ever imagined I could go!
Please list 3 things you learned about exercise, weight training and/or cardio during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Proper nutrition (clean eating) and exercise go hand in hand. You cannot be perfect with one and not the other. An equal importance given to both will get you results.
- When exercising, pushing yourself to go just a few more reps when it feels impossible to go any further will make you stronger – and I don’t mean just physically, but especially mentally. I love walking out of the gym feeling like superwoman just because I was able to do 5 more leg presses than I thought I could do!
- Cardio is KEY! During my transformation, cardio was crucial in helping me shed the pounds.
How are you currently training, and has your training changed since the completion of your transformation?
Currently I am training with Micah LaCerte/Hitch Fit two days a week. On my off days from Micah, I am concentrating on mainly cardio and at least 3 additional days of strength training. I truly haven’t changed my exercise routine much from transformation. I am focused on wanting to take my body to the next level.
Brandi’s Diet And Nutrition Approach
What was your diet/nutrition approach during your transformation?
I was given a nutrition plan by my trainer, Micah LaCerte/Hitch Fit. He was able to give me a daily plan that kept me feeling full all day long. I ate within a certain amount of calories and ate very clean!
Can you provide us with a sample eating plan (please be specific):
My daily diet consisted of a mixture of proteins and healthy good carbs. I always incorporated green vegetables into my lunch and dinner. I ate 6 meals a day, and ate balanced all day long.
Please list 3 things you learned about diet & nutrition during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Watching calorie intake is very important. I became a label reader! For instance, natural peanut butter (my all time favorite), has a lot of calories in just one teaspoon. I learned that it was smarter to save those calories for healthier choices that actually made me feel full instead of enjoying the “instant gratification” of a small taste of peanut butter.
- Never let yourself be hungry or starve yourself. Food is fuel for your body. Fueling it with the right combination of clean foods make you healthy and keep you on the right track in order to meet your fitness goals.
- I was a late night snacker prior to my transformation. I learned that no good came out of late night snacking! By actually getting my meals planned/timed throughout the day and my body adjusting to a normal sleeping pattern eliminated those late night hunger cravings.
Did you allow yourself cheat meals?
I am known as the Hitch Fit transformation girl who never cheated on food! I never one time had a nibble of a cookie or had a lick of icing off of a piece of cake. I kept it 110% clean from day one to the end of my transformation. In the grand scheme of things, it was such as SMALL fraction of my life to prove to myself that I had control over what goes in my mouth! I wanted to leave my transformation knowing that I did everything perfect. If I cheated, I would have only wondered “what could have been” had I not made that bad food choice.
What supplements did you use during your transformation?
I used MAGNUM Dietary/protein supplement.
Advice For Others
What are your best 3 tips for someone looking to make their own transformation?
- Decide that this is something YOU want to do for YOURSELF. There isn’t another person out there who should “talk you into it.” Other people can be your motivation (i.e. your children, spouse, etc) but they cannot and should not force you to do something your not willing to want to do for yourself. It starts with YOU!
- Look in the mirror and visualize your ultimate goal for yourself. Don’t look in the mirror and say “I want to look like a Victoria’s Secret model.” Look in the mirror and say “I want to be the best ME!” Think about if you were able to reach that goal, how you will feel. Then decide to commit to it – what an empowering feeling that no one else can give you but you can give to yourself!
- Ignore the negativity. I remember going through my transformation and my friends telling me how “crazy” I was for not indulging myself in good foods and drinking. “You only live once,” they would say. Yes, I only live once, and I want to be healthy and look amazing…thank you very much!
How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who’s having trouble staying on track?
I stay motivated because I never want to be “that heavy girl” again. That was such a low point in my life and I never want to go back to those dark days again. I set new goals for myself every week – I love seeing my body change and sculpt into ways I never thought possible.
When it comes to someone having trouble staying on track – remember a few things. Life is full of choices. You choose to eat healthy, or you don’t. You choose to exercise, or you don’t. You choose to eat fast food, or you choose to go home and prepare a healthy meal. Everyone has excuses – we are all busy, we all have families/jobs/sports/laundry….but that doesn’t mean you can’t make healthy choices. Choose to do the right things when it comes to anything in life (especially your health) – and you will reap the reward!
More From Brandi Wisdom
What is your life like now that you’ve made a transformation?
My life has changed so much post-transformation! First and foremost, I have made so many new friends I wouldn’t have otherwise known. Complete strangers have reached out to me for advice and to thank me for inspiring them to take their own journey into a healthier life. Knowing that I have inspired makes me so happy! Secondly, I feel so confident and energetic. It has truly affected every aspect in my life. I feel that I am a better “everything to everyone” because of my new lifestyle.
What motivates you currently to keep improving yourself?
I want to prove to myself that there is never an end point in my body transformation. I never want to be satisfied – I will always strive to push myself harder so that I can be healthy for myself and show my son how to be healthy too. Additionally, I am also training for the WBFF show in May 2011 – it will be my first show ever. It will be such a privilege to be on stage with the most amazing/fit people in the world who inspire ME daily!
Anything else you would like to share?
I would like to thank Muscle & Strength for allowing me to share my transformation with everyone. It is wonderful that M&S showcases real life people choosing to make health and fitness a priority. I hope that my transformation along with other people’s success stories you publish will help inspire just one person to change their life today!
How can people contact you?
Facebook: Brandi Wisdom.